Bumper Design SimApp™
Automotive bumper manufacturers typically develop a “template” design that can be used for multiple vehicle platforms. This template design is modified to meet the packaging and performance requirements of an individual vehicle. During the design development process, the manufacturer must consider a large number of low-speed impact load cases defined by standards organizations such as National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), and the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP). These standard load cases require that a large number of tests or analyses need to be run; but while simulation is far more cost effective than physical testing they still consume a great deal of effort in terms of model preparation and validation.
The Comet Bumper Analysis SimApp™ sets up and utilizes predefined libraries of bumper impact load cases to fully automate the configuration and analysis of bumper systems. This application establishes a single environment for bumper system design that allows quick and easy evaluation of any bumper geometry against all required load cases, without the manual effort.
- Fully automated – user configures the bumper and runs virtual tests
- Single, consistent repository for load case scenarios
- Standardized and enforced nomenclature and best practices, across the global organization
- Can be deployed via web-browser
- Does not need experts
- Fully automated results extraction and report generation
- Engineers are able to rapidly configure a bumper design
- Reduction of >80% in model preparation, results extraction and report generation time for each design iteration and loading scenario